How prevalent are mental health and substance abuse issues in the workplace?
Let’s look at some staggering figures:
- Behavioral health issues are the most costly medical condition in the country.1
- Stress is the root cause of about 75% of doctor’s visits.2
- Mental health is at the root of 12.5% of all emergency room visits.3
- 5% of workers have abused alcohol or elicit drugs in the past year.4
- 70% of the estimated 14.8 million Americans who use illegal drugs are employed.5
Why is it important to have a strong Employee Assistance Program (EAP)? The easy answer is “because it’s the right thing to do!” Assisting an employee in need is an important part of a manager’s job. When done right, an EAP can help get a valued employee back on track.
Sometimes employees don’t know about the EAP or are afraid to trust the confidentiality of the program. Managers can help direct someone to the EAP while putting his or her mind to rest. Managers who help someone get assistance often end up with a very loyal employee and a greater sense of purpose in their own lives.